Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Comments made in the year 1957



[1] “I’ll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it’s going to be impossible to buy a week’s groceries for$20.”
[2] “Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won’t be long before $5000 will only buy a used one.”
[3] “Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?”
“If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.”
[4] “When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we’d be better off leaving the car in the garage.”
[5] “Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls.”
[5] “I read the other day where some scientist thinks it’s possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.”
[6] “Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn’t surprise me if someday they’ll be making more than the president.”
[7] “I never thought I’d see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric . . . they are even making electric typewriters now.”
[8] “It’s too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.”
[9] “It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.”
[10] “Marriage doesn’t mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat.”
[11] “I’m just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.”
[12] “Thank goodness I won’t live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress.”
[13] “The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.”
[14] “There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel.”
[15] “No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood.”
[16] ”If they think I’ll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.

No comments:

We don't need a society of vandals

When demonstrations triggered by the death of George Floyd spread to Philadelphia, vandals defaced a statue outside City Hall of an old whit...