Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Vanishing American

While at the doctors office today, as I was sitting in the waiting room, I met a elderly gentleman who was wearing a World War Two Veteran cap. I asked him where was he stationed at during the war and what he did in the war. He told me all the countries that he fought in. All of those countries were in Europe and even though he was old and could hardly get around he still remembered the dead bodies in the concentration camps, and the people, all across Europe the United States Army liberated. As he told of the events I saw tears come to his eyes. He told of other soldiers, his friends who died or were maimed in the many battles they they fought in. He was proud to be an American soldier who fought to set people free of bondage and dictators. Then the very next words that that came out of his mouth was a shocker. He said:

" We fought, bled, were maimed, and died for our country and the ideals that it stood for. Now look at it. Everything that we fought against is now becoming a part of our country. Hitler would be proud of this president that we have now! My friends who fought and died would turn over in their graves if they saw what is happening to this country today. We have a president who is fast becoming a dictator and who is piece by piece taking away all the freedoms that we have in this country. When I was at war we did what it took to win. Now they will not let our boys win. They will only let them go so far. This president goes around the world apologizing for our country when we have freed more people than any other country in the world. We are living in sad times. Our nation is just about gone. God save this nation and make us great again."

When he finished talking I had tears in my eyes and to my amazement so did nearly everyone else in the waiting room. We all knew that he was speaking the truth. I was thankful for being in the presents of an American hero and before I left I shook his hand and I thanked him for his service to our country. As I was leaving I noticed other people getting up from their seats and shaking the old fellow's hand and thanking him for his service. As I watched the others shake his hand I thought to myself: 'Just maybe we have a chance.' God Bless our Veterans, God bless our soldiers, and God bless the United States Of America!

No comments:

We don't need a society of vandals

When demonstrations triggered by the death of George Floyd spread to Philadelphia, vandals defaced a statue outside City Hall of an old whit...