Sunday, March 3, 2019

THE REAL BLUE BLOODS

Recently I have been reading articles in several newspapers and watching on TV articles about police. Things never change. I was a police officer for many years serving in the Towns of St. Michaels, Hurlock, And Federalsburg. Of course, this was over forty years ago. All I ever read in the paper or hear anymore are complaints about the police departments all over this country. Some of those complaints are valid and should be acted on. I will never know how a man can be on the ground and be kicked in the face by a police officer and still has a job as a police officer in another town. Police officers just don't do those things. He would have never been a police officer in my department when I was Police Chief in St. Michaels. I do not know maybe the policing has changed over the years, and I'm sure it has, but what has not changed is how a police officer must conduct himself in all types of situations.and kicking a man in the face when he is down on the ground is not one of the changes that I'm talking about. How is that being a servant of the people?
However, being a police officer is, for the most part, a thankless job and very seldom do you hear the good things that the police do. Most police officers are very good people and will always go the extra mile. for the people they serve. Take time to have that coffee with a cop or be involved with programs such as the St. Michaels Police Department have. They are on the street and in cars patrolling night and day in all kinds of weather or on holidays some must work to keep us safe while we enjoy the comforts of home. When a police officer puts on that uniform and the badge of authority he is a target for some of the people that he swears to protect. Can you imagine what it would be like with no police?
During my time as a police officer, I was so proud to know good men in the Police Departments where I worked and also The Maryland State Police, The Sheriff's Offices in the tri-county area, and the Easton Police Department. Not once during my days as a police officer did I ever hear of a person being arrested by a police officer in the tri-county using more force than necessary. In closing this Letter please remember sometimes a police officer has to make a split second decision that could result in injury to the bad guy or himself. All the training in the world cannot prepare for that.I hold in high regard anyone who puts on a uniform of law enforcement and goes in harm's way. They are the real Blue Bloods no matter what the color of their uniform.

No comments:

We don't need a society of vandals

When demonstrations triggered by the death of George Floyd spread to Philadelphia, vandals defaced a statue outside City Hall of an old whit...