Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Facebook and Fake News


We have heard recently how so much fake news has been put on Facebook and so many people believe it before it is put to rest as lies. I have read a ton of them and try my best not to re post them. Just yesterday I saw were someone posted that Sylvester Stallone was dead and there was a ton of comments about it. In the end it turned out to be all lies. I just deleted it and keep on going. But just this week this kind of crap has hit home and I am so shocked.
Let me explain. My sixteen year old grandson had a two inch pen knife in his pocket, forgot to take it out of his pocket and went to school. He was suspended from school for that violation for five days. I can understand that. Even though my grandson would never hurt anyone, not even a animal, he was wrong even though he did it without even thinking. We all do things sometimes without thinking. But he was wrong and he even admits that and understands why he was suspended. He did his time so to speak and went back to school thinking this was behind him.
Now here lies the problem. A young lady who goes to the same school posted on her Facebook page that she was told, (did not know for a fact) that my grandson was going to stab people and he had a list of names to do this. She has over a 1000 friends who saw this post and it was then reposted.  Of course this was all lies. But because of the lie and the confusion it caused my grandson was not allowed to go on his class trip to New York. This was all because of the discord sown by this girl. None of it was the truth. He saved his money to go and was looking forward to this. Sowing discord and gossip has ruined a lot of innocent people. How do you take back something that you have said? You might say you are sorry but it is still said. The damage is done.
My daughter in law took the grand kids to the library to do some research and my grandson was jumped by a group of kids accusing him of being a shooter. My daughter in law came around the corner and stopped it. She was told by the kids involved that she did not like black people because she stopped them from harassing my grandson.All this because of a fake post.
My grand kids were homed schooled up until last year and were never subjected to this kind of abuse during their lives. My grandson is having a hard time understanding all this. The grandkids are raised in church, have Bible study, prayer in the home every day and would harm nobody but you can see what gossip and lies will do.  All my grandson wanted was to go to a school with other kids, and now he really sees how that is working out. This girl posted all this following the school shootings in Florida which adds fuel to the lie.
Now my question is this; If my grandson was suspended from school for a violation against school policy what is the school going to do about this girl who posted all these lies. My son and daughter-in- law are going to the school today and withdrawing all the kids and are starting home school again. But they are also going to demand that this girl who spread all these lies make a public apology on Facebook for the rumors she started. I know this will never happen but at least they are going to try.
I think the problem lies here. When you do not dress like other kids, wear your pants below your butt, do not talk the talk, and every other word that comes out of your mouth is a fowl word then you become a odd ball and then you are targeted. I am not saying my grandson is a saint but he sure is not what this girl has broadcast. He is a Christian, a conservative in his thinking and has a deep love for this country. His goal was to graduate and go into the military to serve his country.
The bigger question is this; who will be the next target of this girl. When will it stop? My grandson will not have to be subject to this kind of lies and bullying because he has a mother who can finish his home schooling, But my question is this; what about the kids who will have to go to the school and will be next on the hit list.


We don't need a society of vandals

When demonstrations triggered by the death of George Floyd spread to Philadelphia, vandals defaced a statue outside City Hall of an old whit...